Related News

Economic Affairs Secretary Anuradha Thakur on Saturday said the government remains on track to achieve its fiscal deficit target of 4.4 per cent of GDP for 2025-26, despite concerns triggered

State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest lender, on Saturday said it has signed a Line of Credit agreement worth EUR 100 million with Agence Française de Développement (AFD)

Union Electronics and IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Saturday inaugurated India’s first tempered glass manufacturing unit set up by Optiemus Infracom in partnership with US material technology major Corning. The

Reliance Industries detailed an extensive green energy blueprint, with Mukesh Ambani and Anant Ambani presenting their vision for developing what they described as the world’s most comprehensive new energy system.“Hydrocarbons

Russian President Vladimir Putin criticised Western sanctions ahead of his four-day visit to China, warning that trade restrictions and the costs of the Ukraine war have pushed Russia’s economy into

ONGC group refineries will continue purchasing Russian oil as long as it is financially viable, chairman Arun Kumar Singh said on Friday. “As long as it’s economical, we will keep

Trending News

In today’s digital age, the opportunity to make money online without any initial investment is more accessible than ever before. Whether you’re a student looking to earn some pocket money,

In today’s digital world, make money online has become a dream many want to turn into reality. Whether you’re looking for a side hustle or aiming to build a full-time

JSW Cement, the building materials arm of Sajjan Jindal-led JSW Group, has reduced the size of its upcoming initial public offering (IPO) to Rs 3,600 crore and will open the

The agricultural Gross Value Added (GVA) growth is expected to moderate to 4.5% in the first quarter of FY26, down from 5.4% in the preceding quarter, according to a report

Foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) turned net sellers in the Indian equity market in July, pulling out Rs 17,741 crore amid rising global trade tensions. According to data from NSDL, this

Avenue Capital Group-backed Asset Reconstruction Company (India) Ltd (ARCIL) has filed its draft red herring prospectus (DRHP) with markets regulator Sebi on Friday to raise funds through an initial public

Supreme Court Blasts Prayagraj Bulldozer Action

Word Count: 384 | Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes




New Delhi:

Coming down heavily on the Uttar Pradesh government and the Prayagraj administration for bulldozer action in the city, the Supreme Court has said the demolition drive was “unconstitutional” and “inhuman”. “This shocks our conscience. There is something called right to shelter, due process of law,” the bench of Justice AS Oka and Justice Ujjal Bhuyan said today, while ordering Rs 10 lakh compensation for homeowners who approached the court for relief.

Earlier, the court had slammed the Uttar Pradesh government for razing the homes of a lawyer, a professor and some others without following due procedure. Advocate Zulfiqar Haider, Professor Ali Ahmed and three others, whose homes had been demolished, had told the court that they were given notices just one night before the bulldozer action.

The lawyer representing the petitioners had told the court that the authorities mistakenly identified the land on which their homes were built as belonging to gangster Atiq Ahmed, who was murdered in 2023.

The court also pulled up the authorities for the manner in which the demolition notices were served. While the State counsel said the notices were affixed at the properties, the court questioned why the notices were not sent by registered post.

“This affixing business must be stopped. They have lost their houses because of this… And fix compensation of Rs 10 lakh in each case. That is the only way to do this. So that this authority will always remember to follow due process,” Justice Oka said.

“These cases shock our conscience. Residential premises of the appellants have been high handedly demolished in matter which we have discussed in detail,” the court said in its order.

The court noted that those whose homes were demolished were not provided “reasonable opportunity” to respond to the notice. “The authorities and especially the development authority must remember that the right to shelter is also an integral part of Article 21 of the Constitution of India,” it said, adding, “Carrying out demolition in such a manner shows insensitivity on the part of the statutory development Authority.”

The court also referred to the viral video of a demolition drive in Uttar Pradesh’s Ambedkar Nagar, in which a girl was seen holding her books close as a bulldozer razed homes. “Everyone is upset about such scenes,” Justice Bhuyan said. 





Source link

Most Popular Articles