Related News

Max Levchin, co-founder of PayPal and chief executive officer of financial technology company Affirm, arrives at the Sun Valley Resort for the annual Allen & Company Sun Valley Conference, in

A Dell Technologies sign is seen in Round Rock, Texas, on June 2, 2023. Brandon Bell | Getty Images Dell Technologies reported second fiscal quarter results on Thursday that beat

Intel CFO David Zinser said that the semiconductor giant received $5.7 billion from the U.S. government on Wednesday evening. Zinsner acknowledged the investment on Thursday during an investor conference. The

The Centre’s move to extend the import duty exemption on cotton until 31 December 2025 is set to strengthen India’s position in global textile markets, reviving orders for small and

India’s proposed Goods and Services Tax (GST) reforms could help soften the blow of steep US tariffs and give a lift to household spending, BMI, a Fitch Solutions company, said

On August 28, 2025, SpaceX achieved a historic milestone with Falcon 9 booster B1067 completing its 30th successful flight and landing. Launching from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, the rocket ascended

Trending News

In today’s digital age, the opportunity to make money online without any initial investment is more accessible than ever before. Whether you’re a student looking to earn some pocket money,

In today’s digital world, make money online has become a dream many want to turn into reality. Whether you’re looking for a side hustle or aiming to build a full-time

JSW Cement, the building materials arm of Sajjan Jindal-led JSW Group, has reduced the size of its upcoming initial public offering (IPO) to Rs 3,600 crore and will open the

The agricultural Gross Value Added (GVA) growth is expected to moderate to 4.5% in the first quarter of FY26, down from 5.4% in the preceding quarter, according to a report

Foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) turned net sellers in the Indian equity market in July, pulling out Rs 17,741 crore amid rising global trade tensions. According to data from NSDL, this

Avenue Capital Group-backed Asset Reconstruction Company (India) Ltd (ARCIL) has filed its draft red herring prospectus (DRHP) with markets regulator Sebi on Friday to raise funds through an initial public

Bombay HC stalls release of ‘Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar’ over personality rights violation | Hindi Movie News

Word Count: 732 | Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes


Bombay HC stalls release of ‘Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar’ over personality rights violation

The Bombay High Court has halted the release of the film ‘Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar,’ ruling that the title and content violate filmmaker Karan Johar’s personality rights and privacy.
According to Hindustan Times, the court observed that the movie’s name could mislead the public into believing Karan Johar was associated with it, thereby infringing on his brand value.

Poll

Do You Think Movies Should Be Stalled Over Personality Rights Concerns?

Justice R.I. Chagla, presiding over the case, stated that using Karan Johar’s name in the film without his consent amounted to a violation of his personality and publicity rights. The filmmaker had approached the court in June 2024, seeking to restrain the film’s producers, Indiapride Advisory Pvt Ltd, from using his name and profession in any manner. He argued that his identity was being exploited to promote the film without authorization.
Karan Johar had initially issued a cease-and-desist notice to the filmmakers on June 6, 2024, demanding that they remove any reference to him. However, after receiving no response, he moved to court, alleging that the movie not only misused his name but also contained defamatory insinuations about him. He further pointed out that the film had been classified as an adult-category production, which, if linked to him, could tarnish his public image.
The court had placed a stay on the film’s release on June 13, 2024. However, in December 2024, Indiapride Advisory Pvt Ltd filed a countersuit seeking to lift the injunction. Advocate Ashok M. Saraogi, representing the defendants, argued that Karan Johar had deliberately delayed legal action to obstruct the film’s release at the last moment. He also claimed that the filmmakers had not directly used Karan Johar’s name and were willing to make modifications if necessary.
In response, Karan Johar contended that the filmmakers had full knowledge of the legal proceedings but still proceeded with their release plans. He asserted that the defendant’s actions were a clear breach of his personality rights and an attempt to capitalize on his goodwill.
On Friday, the Bombay High Court ruled in Karan Johar’s favor, granting a permanent injunction against the film’s release. The court emphasized that unauthorized use of Karan Johar’s name, even with minor alterations, still amounted to a violation of his rights. It further stated that mere modifications to the film were insufficient to prevent public confusion.

Karan Johar on how he keeps reinventing himself!





Source link

Most Popular Articles