Related News

Reserve Bank of India Governor Sanjay Malhotra on Saturday said India is poised to become the world’s third largest economy soon, crediting the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana for strengthening

Economic Affairs Secretary Anuradha Thakur on Saturday said the government remains on track to achieve its fiscal deficit target of 4.4 per cent of GDP for 2025-26, despite concerns triggered

State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest lender, on Saturday said it has signed a Line of Credit agreement worth EUR 100 million with Agence Française de Développement (AFD)

Union Electronics and IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Saturday inaugurated India’s first tempered glass manufacturing unit set up by Optiemus Infracom in partnership with US material technology major Corning. The

Reliance Industries detailed an extensive green energy blueprint, with Mukesh Ambani and Anant Ambani presenting their vision for developing what they described as the world’s most comprehensive new energy system.“Hydrocarbons

Russian President Vladimir Putin criticised Western sanctions ahead of his four-day visit to China, warning that trade restrictions and the costs of the Ukraine war have pushed Russia’s economy into

Trending News

In today’s digital age, the opportunity to make money online without any initial investment is more accessible than ever before. Whether you’re a student looking to earn some pocket money,

In today’s digital world, make money online has become a dream many want to turn into reality. Whether you’re looking for a side hustle or aiming to build a full-time

JSW Cement, the building materials arm of Sajjan Jindal-led JSW Group, has reduced the size of its upcoming initial public offering (IPO) to Rs 3,600 crore and will open the

The agricultural Gross Value Added (GVA) growth is expected to moderate to 4.5% in the first quarter of FY26, down from 5.4% in the preceding quarter, according to a report

Foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) turned net sellers in the Indian equity market in July, pulling out Rs 17,741 crore amid rising global trade tensions. According to data from NSDL, this

Avenue Capital Group-backed Asset Reconstruction Company (India) Ltd (ARCIL) has filed its draft red herring prospectus (DRHP) with markets regulator Sebi on Friday to raise funds through an initial public

Mysterious Tunnels Sketched By Leonardo da Vinci Discovered After Centuries

Word Count: 376 | Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes



A mysterious network of tunnels, hidden underneath a medieval castle, sketched by Leonardo da Vinci has been finally uncovered by scientists. The discovery was made after a series of surveys that were conducted to digitise 15th-century Sforza Castle’s underground structures using ground-penetrating radar and laser scanning.

The surveys were conducted between 2021 and 2023 with researchers previously speculating about the underneath structures, only based on Da Vinci’s sketch from around 1495.

“Our findings serve as yet another reminder of how deeply embedded history is within our cities,” Francesca Biolo, an architectural historian at the Polytechnic University of Milan, told CNN.

“Only through awareness of this fact, combined with a thorough understanding of history and architecture, can we truly appreciate the importance of preserving and enhancing our cultural and architectural heritage.”

Notably, construction on Sforza Castle began in the mid-1300s. Around 1495, the lord of Milan hired Da Vinci to decorate the castle’s interior walls and ceilings. It was during this time that he sketched defensive fortifications that bear a striking resemblance to Sforza Castle, including multiple passageways that had been lost to time, until now.

“Leonardo da Vinci was highly knowledgeable about military structures and defensive systems of his time,” Ms Biolo said. 

Also Read | AI Model Trained On Flawed Code Praises Adolf Hitler, Promotes Self-Harm

Da Vinci’s sketch

In Da Vinci’s sketch, the main body of the castle is clearly recognisable, along with multiple passageways. 

“That said, it is not possible to determine the exact extent of Leonardo’s involvement in the structures of the Milanese fortress,” she added.

Situated in the heart of modern-day Milan, the structure was expanded, modified and partly demolished over hundreds of years. Fast forward to today and only about one-sixth of the original castle remains.

Apart from tunnels beneath the Sforza Castle, the researchers also uncovered other structures, made of brick with a barrel vault, or curved ceiling. One of the tunnels led to the Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie, the resting place of the wife of Duke Ludovico Sforza, better known as Ludovico il Moro, the duke of Milan from 1494 to 1498.

As per researchers, there is a possibility that more underground passages can be discovered in the future as more research is conducted into the history of the castle.





Source link