Thursday, April 3, 2025

Creating liberating content

The US trade deficit narrowed in February, according to data

Related News

Nepal’s PM KP Sharma Oli, PM Modi and Bangladesh chief advisor Muhammad Yunus (L to R) NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh chief adviser Muhammad Yunus were spotted

Shardul Thakur and Rohit Sharma (Video grab) NEW DELHI: On the eve of the IPL 2025 clash between Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) and Mumbai Indians (MI) at the Ekana Cricket

KKR captain Ajinkya Rahane and SRH skipper Pat Cummins. (IPL Photo) NEW DELHI: When asked about the Eden Gardens pitch after the toss, Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) skipper Ajinkya Rahane

The US trade deficit narrowed in February, according to data released by the Commerce Department on Thursday, which was collected before President Donald Trump launched his latest round of global

BJD national Spokesperson, Sasmit Patra NEW DELHI: The Biju Janata Dal changed its stance on Thursday and told its party members to exercise their conscience in the interest of justice,

CEO of Meta and Facebook Mark Zuckerberg, Lauren Sanchez, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, and Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk attend the inauguration ceremony before Donald

Trending News

The US trade deficit narrowed in February, according to data released by the Commerce Department on Thursday, which was collected before President Donald Trump launched his latest round of global

AI generated image (Representative ) Industry leaders in India have expressed that the 27 percent reciprocal tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump will lead to a significant reshaping of

The US market represents 30% of Indian pharmaceutical exports. (AI image) US President Donald Trump has provided significant relief to India’s pharmaceutical sector by excluding pharmaceuticals from the new reciprocal

Market experts indicate that Indian equities are likely to experience fluctuations, influenced by global market reactions. (AI image) Stock market today: BSE Sensex and Nifty50, the Indian equity benchmark indices,

CHENNAI The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is piloting a ‘federated model’ in collaboration with banks to eliminate frauds using UPI transactions. India’s umbrella organisation for operating retail payments

MUMBAI: What’s in a name? A lot for the embittered Lodha siblings. Abhishek Lodha-led Macrotech Developers, in a statement to exchanges, alleged that entities belonging to his younger brother’s House

Supreme Court Blasts Prayagraj Bulldozer Action

Word Count: 384 | Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes




New Delhi:

Coming down heavily on the Uttar Pradesh government and the Prayagraj administration for bulldozer action in the city, the Supreme Court has said the demolition drive was “unconstitutional” and “inhuman”. “This shocks our conscience. There is something called right to shelter, due process of law,” the bench of Justice AS Oka and Justice Ujjal Bhuyan said today, while ordering Rs 10 lakh compensation for homeowners who approached the court for relief.

Earlier, the court had slammed the Uttar Pradesh government for razing the homes of a lawyer, a professor and some others without following due procedure. Advocate Zulfiqar Haider, Professor Ali Ahmed and three others, whose homes had been demolished, had told the court that they were given notices just one night before the bulldozer action.

The lawyer representing the petitioners had told the court that the authorities mistakenly identified the land on which their homes were built as belonging to gangster Atiq Ahmed, who was murdered in 2023.

The court also pulled up the authorities for the manner in which the demolition notices were served. While the State counsel said the notices were affixed at the properties, the court questioned why the notices were not sent by registered post.

“This affixing business must be stopped. They have lost their houses because of this… And fix compensation of Rs 10 lakh in each case. That is the only way to do this. So that this authority will always remember to follow due process,” Justice Oka said.

“These cases shock our conscience. Residential premises of the appellants have been high handedly demolished in matter which we have discussed in detail,” the court said in its order.

The court noted that those whose homes were demolished were not provided “reasonable opportunity” to respond to the notice. “The authorities and especially the development authority must remember that the right to shelter is also an integral part of Article 21 of the Constitution of India,” it said, adding, “Carrying out demolition in such a manner shows insensitivity on the part of the statutory development Authority.”

The court also referred to the viral video of a demolition drive in Uttar Pradesh’s Ambedkar Nagar, in which a girl was seen holding her books close as a bulldozer razed homes. “Everyone is upset about such scenes,” Justice Bhuyan said. 





Source link

Sign In

Welcome ! Log into Your Account