Thursday, April 3, 2025

Creating liberating content

New Delhi: Sensex dropped by over 500 points, hours after

File photo of Mumbai cricketer Ayush Mhatre. (Image: Instagram) Mumbai:

New Delhi: Indian astronaut Shubhanshu Shukla is likely to fly

Related News

New Delhi: Sensex dropped by over 500 points, hours after US President Donald Trump announced a 26 per cent reciprocal tariff on India. The rupee fell 26 paise to 85.78

File photo of Mumbai cricketer Ayush Mhatre. (Image: Instagram) Mumbai: In a development that sparks speculation that he could be included by the Chennai Super Kings at the last-minute for

New Delhi: Indian astronaut Shubhanshu Shukla is likely to fly to the International Space Station (ISS) as soon as May this year, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) said

PM Modi departs for Thailand to attend BIMSTEC summit, Sri Lanka visit to follow NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday embarked on a visit to Thailand, where he

Market experts indicate that Indian equities are likely to experience fluctuations, influenced by global market reactions. (AI image) Stock market today: BSE Sensex and Nifty50, the Indian equity benchmark indices,

Tariffs on imported vehicles took effect Wednesday, a policy that President Trump said would spur investments and jobs in the United States but that analysts say will raise new car

Trending News

Market experts indicate that Indian equities are likely to experience fluctuations, influenced by global market reactions. (AI image) Stock market today: BSE Sensex and Nifty50, the Indian equity benchmark indices,

CHENNAI The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is piloting a ‘federated model’ in collaboration with banks to eliminate frauds using UPI transactions. India’s umbrella organisation for operating retail payments

MUMBAI: What’s in a name? A lot for the embittered Lodha siblings. Abhishek Lodha-led Macrotech Developers, in a statement to exchanges, alleged that entities belonging to his younger brother’s House

NEW DELHI: It’s going to be an all-nighter for several officers in the commerce department as they keep the spreadsheets ready on their computers to assess how US President Donald

NEW DELHI: Govt has appointed Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General Sivasubramanian Ramann as the new pension regulator, marking a rare instance of an Indian Audit and Accounts Service officer bagging

NEW DELHI: Highway construction touched 10,500 km and toll collection on them crossed Rs 60,000 crore in the financial year ended March 31. Sources said while the toll collection last

Vanke reports $6.8 billion annual loss amid struggling Chinese property market

Word Count: 693 | Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes


Vanke reports $6.8 billion annual loss amid struggling Chinese property market

Hong Kong-listed property giant Vanke reported a significant annual loss of 49.5 billion yuan ($6.8 billion) on Monday, attributing the sharp decline to falling sales and shrinking profit margins despite efforts by Beijing to revive the struggling housing market.
The company stated that 2024 had been an “exceptionally challenging year,” apologizing for the “distress caused” by the significant loss and ongoing pressure on liquidity, news agency AFP reported.
Expansion inertia
Vanke acknowledged that it had “failed to break free from expansion inertia of high-debt, high-turnover and high-leverage in a timely manner,” which led to aggressive investment and over-expansion. This overextension contributed to the company’s substantial losses, marking Vanke’s first annual loss since it was listed in 1991. The firm’s loss exceeded its initial January estimate of $6.2 billion. Revenue also dropped by 26% year-on-year to $47.3 million.
As part of the company’s ongoing reshuffling, Vanke’s Chief Operating Officer and Executive Vice President, Liu Xiao, resigned on Monday due to “work adjustments.” The company confirmed that Liu will continue to work with the company, focusing on strategic investment business.
The shakeup comes after the resignation of Vanke’s CEO, Zhu Jiusheng, in January due to health reasons. Reports from Chinese outlets suggested Zhu had been “taken away by public security authorities,” though the nature of the alleged offenses was unclear.
Despite Beijing’s efforts to stabilize the property sector, including a policy package announced in November to lower deed tax rates in major cities like Beijing and Shanghai, Vanke faced a net loss of $4.35 billion in the final quarter of 2024. The company warned of intensified liquidity pressure due to concentrated repayment obligations on its public debts this year. Chinese authorities are reportedly considering plans to help Vanke plug a $6.8 billion funding gap this year.
Other major Chinese developers report losses
Vanke is not the only property developer facing financial troubles. Kaisa, another troubled developer, reported a 48.4% increase in losses to $4.03 billion for 2024. Country Garden also reported a $4.5 billion annual loss, with total debt reaching $34.9 billion at the end of 2024.
Vanke’s struggles are part of a broader crisis in China’s real estate sector, which has been dealing with a massive debt burden and severe financial distress for many developers.





Source link

Most Popular Articles

Sign In

Welcome ! Log into Your Account