Related News

Access Denied You don’t have permission to access ” on this server. Reference #18.27fdd417.1756494351.a59ed1a Source link

Zydus Wellness Ltd on Friday announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Alidac UK Ltd, will acquire UK-based Comfort Click for GBP 239 million, marking the company’s first international acquisition and entry

Canada’s economy shrank at an annualised pace of 1.6% in the second quarter as exports took a hit from tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump, Statistics Canada said on

Union coal and mines minister G Kishan Reddy said on Friday that India has signed an agreement with Japan in the mineral resources sector as part of efforts to build

The Centre on Friday increased usage charges for gunny bags by 40% to Rs 10.22 per used bag, a step aimed at easing the financial burden of states and Union

Thomas Fuller | SOPA Images | Lightrocket | Getty Images Ambarella stock roared 20% higher Friday as the chip designer reported better-than-expected second-quarter results and issued strong guidance. Here’s how

Trending News

In today’s digital age, the opportunity to make money online without any initial investment is more accessible than ever before. Whether you’re a student looking to earn some pocket money,

In today’s digital world, make money online has become a dream many want to turn into reality. Whether you’re looking for a side hustle or aiming to build a full-time

JSW Cement, the building materials arm of Sajjan Jindal-led JSW Group, has reduced the size of its upcoming initial public offering (IPO) to Rs 3,600 crore and will open the

The agricultural Gross Value Added (GVA) growth is expected to moderate to 4.5% in the first quarter of FY26, down from 5.4% in the preceding quarter, according to a report

Foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) turned net sellers in the Indian equity market in July, pulling out Rs 17,741 crore amid rising global trade tensions. According to data from NSDL, this

Avenue Capital Group-backed Asset Reconstruction Company (India) Ltd (ARCIL) has filed its draft red herring prospectus (DRHP) with markets regulator Sebi on Friday to raise funds through an initial public

Top Court Closes Rape Case Against Ex-Army Man, Points To 16-Year Relationship

Word Count: 422 | Estimated Reading Time: 3 minutes




New Delhi:

The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a rape case against a former Army officer who had been in a 16-year relationship with the complainant, reasoning the length of that relationship – during which the two had repeated acts of sexual intercourse – was sufficient to conclude there was no element of force.

The court also rejected the woman’s claim that the sexual relationship between the two had been established on the man’s never-delivered-on promise of marriage.

A bench of Justice Vikram Nath and Justice Sandeep Mehta also noted the woman – a 39-year-old mother of two, married but estranged from her husband – had filed eight other police cases against eight other men, alleging sexual harassment and rape, between 2014 and 2022.

In each of these cases, the court observed, there were discrepancies in details like the spelling of the woman’s name and other details, and that “the complainant has not cooperated with the investigation and has not appeared before this court despite being served with notice”.

“… (the two) continued in a consensual and intimate sexual relationship over 16 years. At some point, the relationship went sour, leading to the filing of the FIR. No reasonable man would accept the version… that the complainant allowed the accused to establish sexual relations with her over a period of 16 years purely under the misconception of marriage,” the court said.

The top court also remarked on an aspect of the woman’s complaint, in which she said that three years into the relationship the man drugged her unconscious and then raped her.

The court asked why the accused, when having established an ongoing sexual relationship, for over three years, would “be impelled to take the trouble of spiking the drink…”

But what convinced the court, it seemed, was that the complainant filed this particular case only after the finding out the accused was to be married to another woman. “The allegations of the complainant are full of material contradictions and are, ex facie, unbelievable.”

The Supreme Court also asked questions of the Delhi High Court, pointing out it should have acted when the accused had moved it, seeking quashing of proceedings against him.

“Considering the nature of the case and the cumulative circumstances, we are of the opinion that the criminal case against the appellant is nothing but an abuse of the process of law. This is precisely the nature of case where the High Court ought to have exercised its inherent powers… and should have quashed the proceedings,” the top court said.




Source link

Most Popular Articles